The ACR Consulting Team consists of over 100 years of real-world healthcare experience. We are not polished academics but rather proven leaders who understand complexity, can connect well with all key stakeholders and only recommend time tested solutions. We model the attributes of a high performance team because we worked well together over many years and embrace the principles and values we espouse.
Extensive health care leadership, 25 years at Mayo Clinic and 7 years at Essentia Health as President of the Central Market located in the Brainerd Lakes Area. This included Saint Joseph’s Medical Center, (162-bed nonprofit community hospital) and 12 clinics with 1,400 employees and 175 employed providers representing 21 specialties.
Turned around financial crisis requiring staff reductions, ineffective strategic plan, disengaged medical staff, and demoralized employees.
Within the first six months at Essentia, we turned around operating losses, rebuilt leadership team and significantly increased physician engagement through creation of a Clinical Practice Committee. During my 7 years we consistently outperformed all other Essentia Health markets.
- Instituted visual management performance system to cascade system strategy to market and department work improving quality, safety and service performance.
- FY19 ended at $237M net rev, 4.9% operating margin. Retained earnings grew from $118M (4/2013) to $234M (1/2020). Over last 5 years Central was 11% of system revenue and 1/3 of system operating margin. Cash and investments grew from $43.7M in FY13 to $123M in FY19.
- Implemented new primary care model to coordinate care and improve population health.
- Improved clinical quality dashboard performance from laggard to leader in system. Recognized by IBM Watson as top 20% medium size health systems. Top rating by MN Community Measures on depression remission.
- Redesigned central governance integrating, reducing and shortening meetings.
- Improved HCAHPS & CGCAHPS performance as well as employee and provider engagement through Spirit of Caring movement.
- Developed grass roots health and wellness initiative called Crow Wing Energized (CWE) partnering with county public health and MDH through SHIP grants. Achieved Trailblazer Award from BCBS. Improved county health ranking from 61 (of 87) in 2017 to 40 (of 87) in 2020 (lower rank better).
- Superior value keeping total cost of care lower than state average and 6 to 38% less than area competitors.
- Gained primary and secondary market share.
CFO at Mayo Clinic Health System and Essentia Health with over 40 years diverse financial experience. Led rapid financial turnarounds and long-term success despite high government payer mix. Proven innovator integrating systems, optimizing denials management, revenue integrity, government reimbursement and consistently reducing accounts receivable days.
Connects well with clinical leaders and combines good stewardship with practice optimization. A recent CNO said she never met a finance guy who cared as much as Dave about clinical quality and balancing financial decisions with hospital and clinic provider/staff needs.
Experienced Industrial engineer with 20+ years in both Provider and Payor healthcare organizations. Certifications in lean six sigma as a blackbelt, PMP certified PM as well as ADKAR certified in Change Management. Led deployment of visual performance system and team of Process Engineers and PM’s responsible for continuous improvement.
Supported Essentia Health Executive leaders including the President of Central Market to define and deliver organizational strategy and implement and adopt lean concepts into daily work activities.
Extensive work on defining operational processes, building measurement systems and leveraging technology capabilities within the EMR.
Mechanical engineer with extensive experience and success as an owner’s representative and project manager on complex facilities projects. Most recently VP of Facilities at Essentia Health with 30+ years of experience including Mayo Clinic and its’ health system.
Versed in business development, strategic and facilities planning, project management, real estate, and maintenance for both hospital and clinic operations at multiple sites.
A servant leader who is comfortable with change management in different environments and successfully mentors staff and develops strong teams.